Apple’s stock trading 50% above its SMA(500) – buy the dip?
Not only have Amazon, Google and Facebook delivered strong financial results for the last quarter, but Apple has as well.
Besides strong quarterly numbers, Apple also announced a 4 to 1 split – which seems to have been an initial catalyst for a climb to new All Time Highs and a push of the market capitalization last week close to 2 trillion USD. But it is now in an extended phase with the stock trading nearly 50% above its SMA(200) – is a short-term bounce around the corner?
Apple beats expectations, on its way to a 2 trillion USD market cap
For the fiscal third quarter, the company announced a historically strong quarter, including $59.7 billion in revenue against $52.25 billion estimated and double-digit growth in its products and services segments, despite seeing its operations disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic, including store closures in the first and second quarter of 2020.
Besides that, Apple announced a profit of $11.25 billion against a $10.04 billion profit reported in the same quarter of last year and Earnings per Share (EPS) of $2.58 against $2.04.
As a result, the stock saw an acceleration of its already extended rally, pushing to new All Time Highs with the market capitalization of the company reaching close to 2 trillion USD.
But what's probably of greater interest: Apple disclosed that it now has $193.817 billion in cash, up from the second quarter, when the company reported a $192.8 billion cash pile.
While it remains to be seen whether a second wave of the Corona pandemic will hit and whether the result will be a massive economic lockdown around the globe, it seems to be clear that Apple could be in a very favourable position in regards to extending its reach in core technical areas in research and development if another set of circumstances hits in which "Cash is King".
Still, recent developments between the US and China pose a threat for a short-term correction, which could push the stock back towards, and probably even below, 400 USD (before the 4-to-1 stock split).
While Apple seems to not be directly affected by US President Trump's recent bans on U.S. transactions with the Chinese owners of the WeChat messaging app and TikTok video-sharing app, chances seem high that China will retaliate, which could result in a sharp corrective move in strongly elevated US tech shares.
How to trade #AAPL in this environment?
Technically, the current mode is very extended with the #AAPL trading nearly 50% above its SMA(200). Additionally, the RSI(14) is also trading in deep overbought territory on the daily time-frame.
In our opinion, signs of exhaustion on the upside can be seen here, even though the sequence of higher highs and lows has remained intact as long as the stock has traded above 355.00 USD.
Should we see a bounce, a potential long trigger could be found at around 395.00/398.00 USD. Should we see a deeper correction and drop below the current trend support at around 355.00 USD, a very interesting region of support and a mid-term long trigger could be found at around 325.00/330.00 USD.
In general, the forecast for #AAPL remains bullish in the long-term as long as we are trading above the SMA(200):
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5SE Add-on #AAPL CFD Daily chart (between March 19, 2019, to August 10, 2020). Accessed: August 10, 2020, at 10:00 PM GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2015 the value of #AAPL decreased by 4.64%. In 2016, it increased by 10.03%. In 2017, it rose 46.11%. In 2018, it fell 6.79% and in 2019, it increased by 86.16%, meaning that after five years, it was up 164%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and is in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modelled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks.