How To Trade Netflix After Q3 Performance
Investors have been eagerly awaiting how the crackdown on password sharing and the new ad-tier subscription plan will affect Netflix's subscriber numbers and overall growth. Learn more about Netflix's fiscal third-quarter performance and what the analysts are forecasting for the stock.
|Symbol for Invest.MT5 Account:||NFLX|
|Date of Idea:||23 October 2023|
|Time Line:||1 - 6 months|
|Position Size for Invest.MT5 Account:||Max 5%|
- The Invest.MT5 account allows you to buy real stocks and shares from 15 of the largest stock exchanges in the world.
All trading is high risk and you can lose more than you risk on a trade. Never invest more than you can afford to lose, as some trades will lose and some trades will win. Start small to understand your own risk tolerance levels or practice on a demo account first to build your knowledge before investing.
Netflix Fiscal Q3 2023 Performance
Here are some of the key highlights from the latest fiscal third-quarter earnings report from Netflix:
- Earnings per share of $3.73 vs $3.49 expected
- Revenue of $8.54 billion vs $7.93 billion a year earlier
- Net income of $1.68 billion vs $1.4 billion a year earlier
- Added 8.76 million global subscribers vs 5.49 million expected
- Total membership of 247.15 million vs 243.88 million
- Ad plan membership growth is up 70% quarter over quarter
Netflix beat analyst estimates on most metrics. With most tech companies, subscriber numbers are the most important and that is effectively where income is earned. While some analysts and investors were fearful the password-sharing crackdown would affect its subscriber numbers it - instead - helped to boost them.
8.76 million subscribers were added over the last quarter from all around the world which is much higher than the 5.49 million analysts were expecting. The figure represents the biggest net add of subscribers in a quarter since the second quarter of 2020 (10.1 million subscribers were added during the COVID-19 pandemic).
The new ad-based subscription plan grew 70% quarter over quarter but Netflix didn't release how many subscribers are using this plan. However, there are some concerns to take into consideration. Netflix and other members of the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers agreed on a deal with Hollywood writers for higher wages and benefits which will affect the bottom line of production companies such as Netflix.
The management team has also announced plans to increase the price of its basic and premium services while the standard plan and ad tier pricing will remain the same. This may put off some subscribers as the cost of having multiple subscriptions with other providers starts to add up. One cannot ignore the impact of higher interest rates and borrowing costs which may lead to consumers cutting back on certain subscriptions, thereby affecting the company's revenue and share price.
Netflix Stock Forecast - What do the Analysts Say?
According to analysts polled by TipRanks for a Netflix stock forecast in the past 3 months, there are currently 22 buy, 11 hold and 1 sell ratings on the stock. The highest price level for a Netflix stock forecast is $600.00 with the lowest price target at $325.00.
The average price target for a Netflix stock forecast is $459.47.
An Example Trading Idea for the Netflix Stock Price
An example trading idea for the Netflix share price could be as follows:
- Buy the stock on a break above the post-earnings high at $412.00 to allow for volatility.
- Target just below the highest analyst price target of $600.00.
- Keep your risk small at a maximum of 5% of your total account.
- Time Line = 1 – 6 months
- If you buy 10 Netflix shares:
- If target is reached = $1,880.00 potential profit [($600.00 - $412.00) * 10 shares].
Remember that markets go up and down and it is unlikely the share price will move up in a straight line. In fact, it may even go much further down before it rises, especially considering the upcoming price changes in Netflix's subscriptions and the uncertainty surrounding future interest rate hikes.
Be sure to exercise good risk management and always know how much you could potentially lose on a trade and the risks involved, as well as the costs.
With the Admirals Invest.MT5 account you can buy and sell US stocks with a commission from $0.02 per share. This means buying 10 shares in Netflix stock would result in a commission of $0.20 ($0.02 * 10 shares) for executing a per-side transaction.
There is a low minimum transaction fee of $1. So, the example trading idea above would result in a commission of just $1 overall!
How to Buy Netflix Stock in 4 Steps
With Admirals, you can buy shares in companies like Netflix with a low commission of just $0.02 per share and a low minimum commission of just $1 on US stocks.
- Open an account with Admirals to access the dashboard.
- Click on Trade on one of your live or demo accounts to open the web platform.
- Search for your stock in the search window at the top right to view the live price chart.
- Click Create New Order from the bottom of the screen to open the trading ticket.
Click on the banner below to trade Netflix stock today! ▼▼▼
Do You See the Netflix Stock Price Moving Differently?
Remember that all analytics and trading ideas are based on the personal view and experience of the author.
If you believe there is a higher chance Netflix share price will move lower, then you can also trade short from a CFD (Contracts for Difference) trading account which Admirals also provide.
This means you can trade long and short to potentially profit from rising and falling stock prices.
INFORMATION ABOUT ANALYTICAL MATERIALS:
The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts, market reviews, weekly outlooks or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter “Analysis”) published on the websites of Admirals’ investment firms operating under the Admirals trademark (hereinafter “Admirals”) Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The content is published for informative purposes only and is in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admirals shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the content.
- With a view to protecting the interests of our clients and the objectivity of the Analysis, Admirals has established relevant internal procedures for the prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- The Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst, Jitanchandra Solanki (analyst), (hereinafter “Author”) based on their personal estimations.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the content are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admirals does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis.
- Any kind of past or modelled performance of financial instruments indicated within the content should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admirals for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved.