Micron ends its fiscal year with strong quarterly results
We are still awaiting news from the United States regarding the negotiations that are taking place between Democrats and Republicans on the debt ceiling. If they do not reach an agreement in the coming days, the United States could face its first default in history, as stated by former Federal Reserve Chairwoman and current Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen.
In the meantime, we continue with the publication of quarterly results, the stand out of which today are the fourth fiscal quarter results of US company Micron, who specialise in the production of chips and semiconductors for storage memories.
Micron has once again obtained excellent results, exceeding market expectations both in terms of expected Earnings per Share (EPS) and revenue, as we can see in the following table:
Specifically, Micron reported earnings per share of 2.42 USD and revenue of 8.27 billion USD, compared to the expected 2.33 USD per share and 8.22 billion USD in revenue. Despite this, after these results were announced, the share price lost around 3.57%.
As we can see in its daily chart - after a strong upward trend that led it to set record highs on 12 April 2021, at 96.95 USD per share - the price has followed a downward trend over the last few months that has led it to break several support levels, following a wedge formation, to set annual lows around 69 USD per share.
Despite the good results presented quarter after quarter, the downward trend could be explained by the uncertainty about the results and future prospects due to the crisis caused by the semiconductors and chip production. These declines have caused the company’s share price to decrease 2.77% so far this year, falling more than 23.29% from the aforementioned highs.
The price is currently in an important sideways range, facing the coinciding zone of its 200-session moving average, the orange support/resistance band and the upper band of the wedge formation or bearish trend line - which acts as its first important resistance level, with the lower red band being its main support level.
If it is unable to overcome this important resistance level, the price could make a new downward push towards its support - the loss of which would open the door for a further correction towards the lower band of the wedge formation at around 64 USD per share.
The current resistance level is critical and as long as the price fails to make a sustained bullish breakout from this formation, sentiment will remain negative. A bullish breakout would give the price a boost, although it has to face several important resistance levels before it can think of reaching the highs.
Evolution of the last five years:
- 2020: 39.79%
- 2019: 69.49%
- 2018: -22.84%
- 2017: 87.59%
- 2016: 54.80%
With the Trade.MT5 account from Admirals, you can trade Contracts for Difference (CFDs) on Micron and over 3,000 other shares! CFDs allow traders to attempt to profit from both rising and falling prices, whilst also benefiting from the use of leverage! Click the banner below in order to open an account today:
INFORMATION ABOUT ANALYTICAL MATERIALS:
The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts, market reviews, weekly outlooks or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter “Analysis”) published on the websites of Admirals investment firms operating under the Admirals trademark (hereinafter “Admirals”) Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The content is published for informative purposes only and is in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admirals shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the content.
- With view to protecting the interests of our clients and the objectivity of the Analysis, Admirals has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- The Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst Roberto Rojas, Freelance Contributor (hereinafter "Author") based on personal estimations.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the content are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admirals does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis.
- Any kind of past or modelled performance of financial instruments indicated within the content should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admirals for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved.