Strong earnings and technical break: Barrick Gold heading higher
Around one month ago, we asked, "Is Barrick Gold about to break out to new yearly highs?", and pointed to the recent investment from Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway, constituting a position worth a little greater half a billion USD in the company.
After last week's strong earnings and the still very favourable market environment, and the break above a technical strong resistance zone at around 28.50/70, the time for new yearly highs may have finally arrived.
Strong Q3/2020 earnings - #ABX crushes analyst's estimates by more than 25%
Last week, on Thursday, Barrick Gold came out with quarterly earnings of $0.41 per share, beating the consensus of $0.32 per share, mainly due to the recent rally in precious metals, especially in Gold as it reached new All Time Highs above 2,000 USD per ounce.
With the head-to-head race between Donald Trump and Joe Biden in the US Presidential Election having ended with a close win of Joe Biden and the resulting US-Dollar sell-off which went hand in hand with a strong push higher in Gold, stocks of #ABX took off too.
Gold and #ABX gave back most of these gains on Monday after news hit that Pfizer/BioNTech are on their way to a Covid-19 vaccine which is said to be effective in preventing the virus in over 90% of cases. However, considering the chances of a massive fiscal and further monetary stimulus plan, we're not yet convinced that this news is a real game-changer.
We have already pointed out several times in the past (e.g. here) that the chances of a massive fiscal package to stabilize the US economy arriving soon and an ultra-dovish approach from the US central bank FED to finance that fresh US debt are high. We still believe this is the case. Probably even more so now that Joe Biden has won the US presidential election.
Consider the following points, including recent US GDP data:
- The US economy expanded in Q3/2020 by 33.1% (YoY), its biggest expansion ever, though GDP is still 3.5% below its pre-pandemic level
- The outlook for Q4 and 2021 remains uncertain as the pandemic is far from under control and a vaccine is not ready yet
- The next US government has no other choice than to deliver a massive fiscal stimulus package
This amounts to a fundamentally favourable environment for Gold and, thus, mining companies like Barrick Gold.
In addition to this, a bullish seasonal window in Gold opens in December and January, which could drive the price for the yellow metal back above 2,000 USD – and thus, #ABX, to fresh yearly highs and well above 30 USD per share.
In general, we're very positive on mining stocks, especially Barrick Gold, not only due to our bullish outlook for Gold, but also due to its strong balance sheet compared to the broader stock market and its companies.
As CEO Mark Bristow said in last week's earnings call:
"As today's results show, in the face of unprecedented challenges we have succeeded in beating our earnings consensus, reinforcing our 10-year plan and capitalizing on the gold price to maintain an industry-leading balance sheet"
How can you trade Barrick Gold/#ABX in this environment?
Technically, the short-term break below 26.00 USD, the August lows, can be considered a "wash out" and with a break above 28.50/70, the next target would indeed be found at around 31.00/30, the region of the current yearly highs.
But, as we already pointed out in our last take on Barrick Gold, longer-term investors and traders are aiming for a higher target on the upside, especially if the Gold price surges to well above 2,000 USD and goes for a run up to 3,000 USD in the next 18 – 24 months.
If such an outlook materializes, #ABX could be headed towards 55 USD, the current All Time High of the stock dating back to 2011.
That said, the current device seems to be: "Buy the dip!" – if there is one…
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5SE Add-on #ABX Daily chart (from June 13, 2019, to November 09, 2020). Accessed: November 09, 2020, at 07:30 AM GMT. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2015 #ABX fell by 31.25%, in 2016, it increased by 116.53%, in 2017, it fell by 9.45%, in 2018, it fell by 6.43%, and in 2019, it increased by 37.30%, meaning that in five years, it was up by 106.7%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level than with MetaTrader 4. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and is in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modelled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks.