Traders searching for the next Tesla – XPEV up 50% in two trading days!
After Tesla was snubbed in September and not initially picked by the S&P500 Index committee, the electric car maker will join the S&P500 on Monday, December 1st.
This step seems overdue, given the fact that Tesla is already one of the S&P 500′s 10 most valuable companies and helped its CEO Elon Musk to become the second richest person in the world after Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos.
#NIO.US and #XPEV – who is the next Tesla?
As a result of the news on November 16th, Tesla shares sky-rocketed to new All Time Highs and pushed the market capitalization of the company to over 500 billion USD as of Tuesday, November 24th.
The developments around Tesla are currently spilling over onto other electric vehicle car producers, especially from China.
Following the run on Tesla shares, and given the fact that Chinese national policy is encouraging the launch of several Tesla rivals in China, the world's largest auto market, here's what unfolded next:
- #XPEV, or Xiaopeng Motors, another Chinese electric vehicle manufacturer, headquartered in Guangzhou, with offices in Mountain View, California in the US, saw a rise of 50% in its stock price in only two trading days.
- This brought the market capitalization of the company, which went public in August this year, to around 30 billion USD.
Another car manufacturer, NIO, was also affected. We already made NIO a topic shortly before the company released its earnings on November 16th after markets closed. NIO reported stronger numbers than expected, presenting Earnings per Share (EPS) of $-0.14 against the $-0.17 per share expected. Here's how they fared:
- NIO's stock pushed to new All Time Highs as well
- It is currently holding substantially above 50 USD per share, bringing the market capitalization of the company to more than 50 billion USD
- It is still only 1/10th of Tesla's market cap
Swings in #NIO.US stock on an intraday basis are already massive and we are very careful in terms of long engagements here and trying to find the "next Tesla". Seeing the potential of a sharp decline, developments in #XPEV are even crazier.
When looking at the developments in the electric vehicle space over the last months, one is certainly reminded, to some extent, of the "Dotcom" bubble around 2000. We consider this hype not to be sustainable, probably even irrational.
On Wednesday, Chinese electric vehicle companies took their first hit, and a serious one at that, after news hit that the Chinese government is currently investigating the sector. This revealed that the current hype around NIO, LI or XPEV and the sharp pushes higher in their stock prices are not a one-way-street.
How can you trade #XPEV in this environment?
This all points to an overall very volatile environment in which electric vehicle manufacturers find themselves and should be taken into account if a trader is planning to take positions in the respective stocks.
Still, we want to emphasize, once again, that shorting a stock that's currently trading at elevated levels and showing signs of massive irrationality should be taken very, very carefully.
John Maynard Keynes once said that markets can stay irrational way longer than traders can stay solvent.
Now, given the recent run higher, we consider a break to below 63.00 USD a potential bearish sign and catalyst, leaving the stock of #XPEV vulnerable to a drop down to its breakout level of around 49.00 to 50.00 USD.
A stop above its current All Time High at 70.50 USD delivers a risk-reward-ratio greater than 1 to 1.5:
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5SE Add-on, #XPEV CFD 15min chart (from November 16, 2020, to November 25, 2020). Accessed: November 25, 2020, at 15:15 PM GMT. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2020, the value of #XPEV has increased, since its IPO on August 27, 2020, by 209.8%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level than with MetaTrader 4. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and is in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modelled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks.