Nasdaq100 about to push to new All Time Highs
US Equities saw a strong start into the new week of trading with the Nasdaq Composite outperforming, seeing a gain of more than 2.5%.
Apple and Amazon stood out with impressive results. Amazon's recent gains could mainly have been driven by Prime Day, but the question is: can US tech equities continue to outperform and what could it mean for the upcoming US presidential election?
Technically and politically a favourable stock environment
As we pointed out in one of our latest blog articles, Amazon's bullish performance was to be expected given the stock's performance since the first Prime Day in 2015 and the two weeks leading up to the event, rising on average between 7 – 10%.
And while we are somehow a little sceptical in terms of further bullish performance in Amazon, and in tech stocks in general, given the very bullish performance after the first very weak two weeks of September, this time could it be different.
The technical picture for the Nasdaq100 is very positive, pointing to at least an attack at the current All Time Highs around 12,470 points. We will discuss this a little later in this article.
Also, incumbent US President Trump can be expected to do whatever is necessary to pump US Equities before the upcoming US election on the 03rd of November.
- When looking at the broader US Equity market, the S&P500 is up 7.3% since the 03rd of August, which was exactly three months before the US presidential election
- The tech sector plays a very important role in the S&P500, as does the FANGMAN combination, which accounts for around 25%, in terms of market capitalization
- Since 1928, a strong stock market has delivered a high likelihood for a win from the incumbent party (20 out of 23 times).
- An even more impressive fact: no president has ever lost an election with stocks up more than 7% in the three months leading up to the election (which has been the case in 1928, 1936 and 1940).
So, while we don't want to make a prediction of who will win the US presidential election, the path seems levelled for further gains in stocks in the 2 to 3 weeks ahead.
How can you trade the NQ100 CFD in this environment?
When looking at the daily time-frame one can clearly spot a sequence of higher highs and lows and the Nasdaq100 getting ready to initiate a progressive move, which has a projected target at around 12,600/650 USD.
Risk-reward-wise it seems difficult to trade a direct break higher with an initial stop at 10,670 at the September lows since such a setup only delivers a risk-reward ratio of 5 to 1, which is clearly not attractive.
Instead, and in anticipation of a move higher, we are looking for a correction down to 11,600 points and long engagements against this region, delivering a risk-reward ratio around 1:
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5SE Add-on NQ100 CFD daily chart (between June 13, 2019, to October 14, 2020). Accessed: October 14, 2020, at 10:00 PM GMT. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance
In 2015, the value of the NQ100 CFD increased by 7.8%, in 2016, it increased by 8.4%, in 2017, it increased by 30.5%, in 2018, it fell by 1.6%, and in 2019, it increased by 39.7%, meaning that in five years, it was up by 108.5%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level than with MetaTrader 4. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and is in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modelled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks