Investors on alert after huge Nasdaq 100 intraday drop
As investors wait for a tech heavy earnings day on Wednesday, the Nasdaq 100 index – which is primarily made up of tech heavy companies – dropped significantly at the opening bell on Tuesday.
Investors could be trimming the extreme long positions in the sector before earnings announcements from Apple, Amazon, Facebook and Google on Wednesday.
These companies represent around 17% of the entire S&P 500 index and about a third of the Nasdaq 100 index.
Source: Admirals MetaTrader 5, NQ100, Weekly - Data range: from May 4, 2014, to Jul 27, 2021, performed on Jul 27, 2021, at 8:30 pm GMT. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
The weekly price chart of the Nasdaq 100 index shown above, highlights a very strong long-term uptrend.
Since rejecting the 100-period (green) exponential moving average in March 2020, the index has surged higher often finding support at the 20-period (blue) exponential moving average (EMA).
Currently the price is trading far away from the 20-period EMA, suggesting it is overextended and due a pullback at some point.
Source: Admirals MetaTrader 5, NQ100, H4 - Data range: from Jun 14, 2021, to Jul 27, 2021, performed on Jul 27, 2021, at 8:30 pm GMT. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
The 4-hour chart shown above highlights the biggest intra-day drop for some time took place at the opening bell on Tuesday (second candle in from the right).
Market veterans understand that markets move on anticipation and reverse on the facts. It’s why this week is a big deal for the index and whether the price can find support at the 4-hour 100-period EMA.
Did you know that you can use the Trading Central Technical Ideas Lookup indicator to find actionable trading ideas on thousands of different markets?
Start your free download by clicking on the banner below:
INFORMATION ABOUT ANALYTICAL MATERIALS:
The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts, market reviews, weekly outlooks or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter “Analysis”) published on the websites of Admiral Markets investment firms operating under the Admiral Markets trademark (hereinafter “Admiral Markets”) Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The content is published for informative purposes only and is in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the content.
- With view to protecting the interests of our clients and the objectivity of the Analysis, Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- The Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst, Jitan Solanki (analyst), (hereinafter “Author”) based on their personal estimations.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the content are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis.
- Any kind of past or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the content should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved.