Will the USDCAD climb thanks to Canadian Retail Sales?
Source: Economic Events 24 January 2020 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
While the Bank of Canada rate decision on Wednesday left rates unchanged at 1.75%, the Canadian Dollar sold off sharply on a broad front.
The reason for that can be found in the dovish rhetoric in the BoC statement and the comments from BoC Governor Poloz stating that a rate cut was on the table, even though financial vulnerability concerns weighed against a cut.
As a result, swap markets started to price in a rate cut. Here expectation for the BoC March meeting went up from 6% to 27.5% and for the BoC meeting in April these speculations rose from 22% to 51%.
What was certainly also interesting was that BoC Governor Poloz had a quite big emphasis on data, particularly on consumer data. And with the Canadian Retail Sales number being due today at 1330 GMT, elevated volatility seems warranted.
Any disappointment similar to last month when Retails Sales data for October came in at -1.2% (MoM), compared to the expected 0.0%, could trigger an acceleration of the current bullish move in the USDCAD on the upside and bringing the overall target around 1.3300/50 into our focus in the weeks to come.
On the other hand: any positive news is capable of resulting in a short-term bounce. But given the increasing likelihood of a rate cut from the BoC, we consider buying a dip against the region around 1.3050/3080 with the picture darkening only if we drop below 1.2950 to be interesting from a risk-reward perspective.
In 2015, the value of the USDCAD increased by 19.1%, in 2016 it fell by 2.9%, in 2017 it fell by 6.4%, in 2018 it increased by 8.4%, in 2019 it fell by 4.7% meaning that after five years, it was up by 11.7%.
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks.