Source: Economic Events February 14, 2020 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
As we approach the weekly close, forex traders around the globe will certainly keep an eye on today's US Retail Sales numbers at 1330 GMT.
Particularly interesting will the data set be for the USD/JPY, which has shown some interesting developments over the last days.
Not only were the US yields unable to profit from solid US economic data last week, but the subdued reaction to Fed chairman Powell's neutral (and thus in our opinion, USD-bullish) comments at his semi-annual testimony does not bode well for the USD/JPY.
Certainly, the USD/JPY went for another stint up to 110 the last days, mainly driven by rising risk appetite among market participants, particularly in Equity markets, thus driving the Carry trade funding currency JPY lower.
But the fact that the comments from Powell fell on deaf ears among market participants who still expect, with a likelihood of around 80%, the Fed to cut rates at least once by 25 basis points in 2020 (according to the Fed Watch Tool and as of last Thursday), means: if US Retail Sales disappoint today, a sharper drop lower and bounce against 110.00 in the USD/JPY seems likely.
On the other hand, even a better than expected print should be carefully reviewed, any push above 110.00 in the USD/JPY may be short-lived with the USD/JPY finding a stronger zone of resistance around 110.30/70:
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on USD/JPY Daily chart (between December 4, 2018, to February 13, 2020). Accessed: February 13, 2020, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2015, the value of the USD/JPY increased by 0.5%, in 2016, it fell by 2.8%, in 2017, it fell by 3.6%, in 2018, it fell by 2.7%, in 2019, it fell by 0.85%, meaning that after five years, it was down by 9.2%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks.