The USD/JPY is set to break 111.00 – will positive US PMI’s add further bullish momentum?
Source: Economic Events February 21, 2020 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
It seems as if the USD/JPY took its time to react to Japan's latest economic developments last Monday.
The data showed that Japan's GDP shrank an annualized 6.3% in Q4 of 2019, following a downwardly revised 0.5% growth from the previous period, performing much worse than the pessimistic market forecasts of a 3.7% fall.
It was the sharpest contraction since the second quarter of 2014, and second-biggest drop since the Great Financial Crisis. This was led by falls in consumer and business spending on the back of a sales tax hike, a destructive typhoon, and subdued global demand. And yet, this does not include the potential negative effects of a shrinking global economy driven by developments around the Coronavirus, so the JPY was sold off sharply, pushing the USD/JPY to new yearly highs and the highest levels since May 2019.
If today's economic data around several US PMI's come in better than expected and result, at least in the short-term, in a push higher in 10-year US-yields, the push above 111.00 over from the last few days would certainly become sustainable. It would bring 112.00/30 into our focus for the weekly close, make further gains in the currency pair up to 114.00/30 in the coming days a possibility.
Technically the mode on a daily time-frame can now be considered bullish, as long as we trade above 107.80/108.00:
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on USD/JPY Daily chart (between December 11, 2018, to February 20, 2020). Accessed: February 20, 2020, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2015, the value of the USD/JPY increased by 0.5%, in 2016 it fell by 2.8%, in 2017, it fell by 3.6%, in 2018, it fell by 2.7%, in 2019, it fell by 0.85%, meaning that after five years, it was down by 9.2%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.