EUR/USD above 1.1500 with new yearly highs – further gains to come?
Source: Economic Events July 24, 2020 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
Since EU leaders reached a deal at the EU summit over the last weekend, where they agreed on a post-pandemic recovery package to support the EU economy by offering 750 billion euros in grants and loans to the countries being hit the hardest and to counter the impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic, the EUR/USD finally saw the push to above 1.1500, new yearly highs, as a result.
In addition to the Euro's strength, the US dollar came under pressure as 10-year US yields attacked the important region of support around 0.60%, leaving the impression for a soon-coming significant break lower.
In fact, we could imagine such a break to happen for the weekly close if US economic projections do not continue the solid performance it has shown over the last few weeks, where it pushed the Citi economic surprise index to an all-time high.
Disappointing US data would come at an unfortunate time, since signs are showing that a second US Coronavirus relief bill is unlikely to pass in July, and the federal unemployment benefits expire at the end of next week.
That said, the Euro should continue to outperform the US dollar, and with US yields about to break lower, the path up to 1.1700/1800 in the coming days seems set.
Technically, the mode stays bullish on a daily time-frame as long as we trade above 1.1150/1200 with signs of diminishing bullish momentum through the bearish divergence in the RSI(14), but the overall advice should be "buy a dip against 1.1400/30":
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on EUR/USD Daily chart (between May 24, 2019, to July 23, 2020). Accessed: July 23, 2020, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2015, the value of the EUR/USD fell by 10.2%, in 2016, it fell by 3.2%, in 2017, it increased by 13.92%, 2018, it fell by 4.4%, 2019, it fell by 2.2%, meaning that after five years, it was down by 7.3%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.