DAX30 in nose-dive mode, 10,600 points in focus
Source: Economic Events March 6, 2020 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
While the economic calendar is quite thin this week, the strong risk aversion leading up to last week's close should keep volatility elevated in the German DAX index.
What seems particularly alarming is the very weak reaction to the Fed emergency rate cut last Tuesday.
Last Tuesday morning, an emergency G7 phone call, led by US Treasury Secretary Mnuchin and Fed Chair Powell, didn't result in any plans of coordinated action by the G7, in regards to fiscal stimulus or a coordinated rate cut by central banks. There was only some vague rhetoric that they are to carefully watch upcoming developments in the Coronavirus and its impact on the global economy. Meanwhile, the Fed, several hours later, cut rates by 50 basis points.
But Equity markets (and thus the DAX) only saw a short term upward squeeze, which sold off sharply as 10-year US Treasury yields dropped significantly below 1.00% over the last days.
In fact, market participants now expect the Fed to cut rates by another 50 basis points at their meeting next Wednesday, and the ECB is also expected to be extremely dovish next Thursday by cutting rates by a minimum of 10 basis points into negative territory.
But with Equities failing to gain bullish momentum in regards to liquidity, the advantage stays clearly on the downside, with the focus in the DAX30 CFD on the region around 10,600 points.
On the upside, only recapturing 12,200/230 points would, at least in the short-term, brighten the technical picture:
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on DAX30 CFD Daily chart (between November 22, 2018, to March 6, 2020). Accessed: March 6, 2020, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2015, the value of the DAX30 CFD increased by 9.56%, in 2016, it increased by 6.87%, in 2017, it increased by 12.51%, in 2018, it fell by 18.26%, in 2019, it increased by 26.44% meaning that after five years, it was up by 34.2%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks.