Gold stabilizing above 1,800 USD – are dropping US yields a bullish driver?
Source: Economic Events July 15, 2020 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
While Gold failed to gain renewed bullish momentum after the precious metal broke to new yearly highs. It closed above 1,800 USD for the first time since 2011, and the picture keeps on brightening.
While recent US economic data kept on being better than expected, resulting in the Citi Economic Surprise Index rising to a new all-time high and, to the delight of market participants, so US yields didn't take on any new bullish momentum while Gold broke to new highs.
Last Friday, 10-year US Treasury yields opened below 0.60%, approaching its lowest all-time close of 0.545%.
That said, it seems as if current developments in Gold (and also Silver) are an anticipation of the potential negative impact on the US economy which will be countered with more fiscal stimulus by the US government, financed by freshly printed USD by the Fed.
So, disappointing US economic projections, like today's industrial production printing below expectations, could result in US yields pushing towards its all-time low close at 0.545%, acting as a catalyst for the bulls and push the yellow metal above 1,820 USD.
Such a break higher levels the path up to the current all-time high of around 1,920 USD, while technically the mode on a daily time-frame in Gold stays bullish as long as we trade above 1,660 USD:
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on Gold Daily chart (between April 15, 2019, to July 14, 2020). Accessed: July 14, 2020, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2015, the value of Gold fell by 10.4%, in 2016, it increased by 8.1%, in 2017, it increased by 13.1%, in 2018, it fell by 1.6%, in 2019, it increased by 18.9%, meaning that after five years, it was up by 28%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.