DAX30 CFD being pushed below 13,000 out of US-Iran war fears?
Source: Economic Events January 6, 2020 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
The DAX30 CFD had a prosperous start for the new year, but gave surrendered all its gains and more last Friday.
The main driver for this bearish action came from recent developments in the Middle East last Friday, when the Pentagon launched an airstrike that killed Iranian commander Soleimani, sparking fears that a war between the US and Iran could be about to start, increasing chances of a broad risk-off mode and break below 13,000 points on the table.
In addition to that, White House advisor Peter Navarro mentioned during his CNBC interview that the US is "going to try to get something going with Great Britain, Vietnam, Europe and anybody else who wants to fairly trade with the United States of America".
If, based on these comments, speculation among market participants infer that Europe could be attacked with tariff announcement from the US in the near future, the German index could quickly see further selling pressure.
On the other hand; as the Fed to continues to flood markets with liquidity in the hopes of avoiding avoid a funding crisis, particularly in the repo market, (and will thus extend the Fed balance sheet to new record highs by mid-January) the downside should be limited and only a drop below 13,080/100 points would significantly darken the technical picture on H1.
The main focus on the upside stays on 13,480/500 points, and a break higher should be considered clearly bullish, making a test of the current all-time highs around 13,600 points likely:
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on DAX30 CFD Daily chart (between September 20, 2018, to January 3, 2020). Accessed: January 3, 2020, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2015, the value of the DAX30 CFD increased by 9.56%, in 2016, it increased by 6.87%, in 2017, it increased by 12.51%, in 2018, it fell by 18.26%, in 2019, it increased by 26.44% meaning that after five years, it was up by 34.2%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks.