Trading Cisco Systems Post Q2 Earnings
Cisco Systems was founded in 1984 but is one of the leading companies in technology. In fact, it is one of the biggest companies in the telecommunications equipment market but has business operations in multiple sectors including networking products, software, security, infrastructure and more.
In its latest fiscal second-quarter earnings report, Cisco surprised investors with its full-year guidance. Learn more about Cisco’s latest earnings results, what the analysts are forecasting for the stock and how to trade it.
|Symbol for Invest.MT5 Account:
|Date of Idea:
|21 Feb 2023
|1 - 6 months
|Position Size for Invest.MT5 Account:
- The Invest.MT5 account allows you to buy real stocks and shares from 15 of the largest stock exchanges in the world.
Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results or future performance.
All trading is high risk and you can lose more than you risk on a trade. Never invest more than you can afford to lose as some trades will lose and some trades will win. Start small to understand your own risk tolerance levels or practice on a demo account first to build your knowledge before investing.
Cisco Q2 Earnings Report
Here are some of the key highlights from the latest fiscal second-quarter earnings report from Cisco:
- Earnings per share of 88 cents vs 86 cents per share expected
- Revenue of $13.59 billion vs $13.43 billion expected
- Total revenue growth was up 7% year over year
- Net income down 7%
- Secure Agile Networks division revenue of $6.75 billion up 14%, beating analyst expectations
- Webex revenue was down 10% and falling short of analyst expectations
- Guidance lifted for the 2023 fiscal year with 9% to 10.5% revenue growth
Cisco posted better-than-expected results in both earnings per share and revenue figures. The networking company’s largest division is Secure Agile Networks which provides products for data centres. It posted $6.75 billion in revenue which was much higher than what analysts were expecting of $6.52 billion.
However, the Internet for the Future unit posted revenue that was lower than analysts were expecting and down from the prior quarter. Revenue from its Webex product and service was down 10% and also fell short of analyst expectations.
Investors were surprised by Cisco lifting its fiscal 2023 guidance. It is now forecasting 9% to 10.5% revenue growth and higher earnings per share which were both well ahead of analysts’ expectations.
While the stock jumped initially on the increased guidance for the year, Cisco did state that its backlog for hardware and software has increased and is still very high compared to usual. This is down to issues with supply and could weigh on the stock’s revenue growth for the year and share price if not dealt with.
Cisco Stock Forecast - What do the Analysts Say?
According to analysts polled by TipRanks for a Cisco stock forecast in the past 3 months, there are currently 8 buys, 9 holds and 1 sell ratings on the stock. The highest price level for a Cisco stock forecast is $100.00 with the lowest price target at $46.00.
The average price target for a Cisco stock forecast is $59.63.
An Example Trading Idea for the Cisco Stock Price
An example trading idea for the Cisco share price could be as follows:
- Buy the stock on a break above the post-earnings high at $52.00.
- Target just below the 23-year high around $64.00.
- Keep your risk small at a maximum of 5% of your total account.
- Time Line = 1 – 6 months
- If you buy 10 Cisco shares:
- If target is reached = $120.00 potential profit ($64.00 - $52.00 * 10 shares).
Remember that markets go up and down and it is unlikely the share price will move up in a straight line. In fact, it may even go much further down before it rises, especially considering the fact the stock ended last year down more than 25%.
Be sure to exercise good risk management and always know how much you could potentially lose on a trade and the risks involved, as well as the costs.
With the Admirals Invest.MT5 account you can buy and sell US stocks with a commission from $0.02 per share. This means buying 10 shares in Cisco stock would result in a commission of $0.20 ($0.02 * 10 shares) for executing a per-side transaction.
There is a low minimum transaction fee of $1. So, the example trading idea above would result in a commission of just $1 overall.
How to Buy Cisco Stock in 4 Steps
With Admirals, you can buy shares in companies like Cisco with a low commission of just $0.02 per share and a low minimum commission of just $1 on US stocks.
- Open an account with Admirals to access the Trader’s Room.
- Click on Trade on one of your live or demo accounts to open the web platform.
- Search for your stock at the bottom of the Market Watch window and drag the symbol onto the chart.
- Use the one-click trading feature, or right-click and open a trading ticket to input your trade size, stop loss and take profit level.
Click on the banner below to trade Cisco stock today. ▼▼▼
Do You See the Cisco Stock Price Moving Differently?
Remember that all analytics and trading ideas are based on the personal view and experience of the author.
If you believe there is a higher chance Cisco's share price will move lower, then you can also trade short from a CFD (Contracts for Difference) trading account which Admirals also provide.
This means you can trade long and short to potentially profit from rising and falling stock prices. Learn more about CFDs in this How to Trade CFDs article.
INFORMATION ABOUT ANALYTICAL MATERIALS:
The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts, market reviews, weekly outlooks or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter “Analysis”) published on the websites of Admirals’ investment firms operating under the Admirals trademark (hereinafter “Admirals”) Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The content is published for informative purposes only and is in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admirals shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the content.
- With a view to protecting the interests of our clients and the objectivity of the Analysis, Admirals has established relevant internal procedures for the prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- The Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst, Jitanchandra Solanki (analyst), (hereinafter “Author”) based on their personal estimations.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the content are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admirals does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis.
- Any kind of past or modelled performance of financial instruments indicated within the content should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admirals for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved.