Source: Economic Events April 24, 2019 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
The technical picture for the USD/CAD remains very interesting, particularly with today's rate decision coming from the Canadian central bank.
Last week's Canadian inflation data was published, coming in at 1.9% (YoY) for March 2019, up from 1.5% from the previous month; meeting market expectations while printing at the highest level since December, so it will be interesting to see if the Bank of Canada shows a slight hawkish touch.
When looking at the resulting price action of the USD/CAD after last week's inflation rate and seeing that the CAD didn't take on any serious momentum, stabilising above 1.3250, it appears that market participants don't see a hawkish shift, especially after last March's rate decision and rhetoric.
Lat March, Governor Poloz and his colleagues removed the tightening bias in their statement, acknowledging "more pronounced and widespread" global economic slowdown, and noted that "trade tensions and uncertainty are weighing heavily on confidence and economic activity" and "global economic prospects would be buoyed by the resolution of trade conflicts."
In this context, any dovish hints have the potential to initiate a bullish breakout above 1.3470, activating current yearly highs of around 1.3670/3700 as an initial target.
Technically, only a drop below 1.3250 would darken the technical picture, and activate 1.3080/3100 on the downside.
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on USD/CAD Daily chart (between January 23, 2018, to April 23, 2019). Accessed: April 23, 2019 at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2014, the value of the USD/CAD increased by 9.4%, in 2015, it increased by 19.1%, in 2016, it fell by 2.9%, in 2017, it fell by 6.4%, in 2018, it increased by 8.4%, meaning that after five years, it was up by 28.4%. Click on the banner below to download MetaTrader 5, and begin trading today!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.