Will US yields stabilise and help the USD/JPY close above 110.00?
Source: Economic Events February 28, 2020 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
After the USD/JPY went for a test of the region around 2019's yearly highs of 112.00/30, recent developments concerning the Coronavirus resulted in a sharp bounce from the massive risk-off hitting global financial markets.
While we expect volatility to stay elevated since the worst is probably yet come (the US CDC said that it wants to prepare the American public for the possibility that their lives will be disrupted in the US with the Coronavirus' spread), a short-term push back above 110.00 could be coming.
Our take: if the Personal Spending data comes in better than expected, and above 0.3%, 10-year US yields (which just saw new all-time lows recently), could see a bounce, thus driving the USD/JPY higher.
But we are very cautious in regards to the sustainability of such a move: if the situation around the Coronavirus worsens again, and signs intensify that the Fed may be forced to go with a surprising "emergency rate cut" before their next meeting on March 18 (which is currently not in sight thus "surprising"), US yields could see another push lower, driving the USD/JPY sustainably back below 110.00.
Technically the mode stays bullish as long as we trade above 107.80/108.00:
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on USD/JPY Daily chart (between December 18, 2018, to February 27, 2020). Accessed: February 27, 2020, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2015, the value of the USD/JPY increased by 0.5%, in 2016, it fell by 2.8%, in 2017, it fell by 3.6%, in 2018, it fell by 2.7%, in 2019, it fell by 0.85%, meaning that after five years, it was down by 9.2%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks.