Source: Economic Events April 12, 2019 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
As we move towards the weekly close, the USD/JPY is worth another look in response to the Michigan Consumer Confidence dataset being published at 2pm GMT.
The data is expected to come in at 98.0 points after 98.4 the month before. In fact, the data set was revised to be higher in March 2019 from a preliminary 97.8, as the current economic conditions sub-index came in stronger than initially assumed.
A similarly strong reading today, probably out of hopes that the uncertainty of the trade conflict between the US and China - which is currently holding business back as markets await a deal to be struck - could result in another push towards the current yearly highs around 112.00.
Such a bullish outlook for the USD/JPY comes from several other angles as well: from a technical perspective, the USD/JPY can be considered long on a daily time-frame if we trade above 109.70/110. While the volatility is expected to die down over the coming few days, partially due to the prolonged Easter weekend, it speaks for a potential risk-on market environment in which the JPY typically underperforms.
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on USD/JPY 4-hour chart (between January 26, 2019, to April 11, 2019). Accessed: April 11, 2019, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2014, the value of USDJPY increased by 13.7%, in 2015, it increased by 0.5%, in 2016 it fell by 2.8%, in 2017 it fell by 3.6%, in 2018 it fell by 2.7%, meaning that after five years, it was up by 4.1%.
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.