Source: Economic Events February 12, 2020 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
The outlook for Gold took a very positive turn in reaction to the solid Non-Farm Payrolls dataset last Friday.
The NFP's increased by 225,000 in January, following an upwardly revised 147,000 rise in the previous month and beating market expectations of 160,000.
Still, expectations of market participants that the Fed will cut rates minimum once by 25 basis points in 2020 are still seen with a likelihood of around 80% (according to the Fed Watch Tool).
In addition to that, the focus in 10-year US Treasury yields is again at a technically important level of 1.50%, as a break lower having serious potential for an acceleration and dynamic move lower in US yields, favouring gains in Gold.
Technically, Gold saw strong demand against the region around 1,555 USD, the region of the 2019 yearly highs, thus helping the yellow metal to substantially trade above the daily trend-support around 1,440/450 USD.
With today's semi-annual testimony before Congress, Fed chairman Powell and his remarks should be closely monitored. While chances seem low that Powell will massively deviate from the Fed statement which was provided two weeks ago, any hints towards an extension of the loose monetary policy and the Fed continuing to deliver massive monetary stimulus in regards to a potential liquidity drain in the Repo market could trigger bullish momentum in Gold again.
And even a drop back below 1,550 USD would only be short-term bearish, activating the region around 1,510/515 USD as potential long-trigger and keeping the potential next target on the upside around 1,650/700 USD active:
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on Gold Daily chart (between November 9, 2018, to February 11, 2020). Accessed: February 11, 2020, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2015, the value of Gold fell by 10.4%, in 2016, it increased by 8.1%, in 2017, it increased by 13.1%, in 2018, it fell by 1.6%, in 2019, it increased by 18.9%, meaning that after five years, it was up by 28%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks.