Source: Economic Events May 24, 2019 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
Today, we'll be looking at a currently very political currency pair: the EUR/GBP. Over the last few days, uncertainties surrounding Brexit talks and obvious distrust in both prime minister May, and the opposing Labour Party, resulted in the EUR/GBP moving upwards for 14 trading days in a row after finding support at the current yearly lows around 0.8470.
Given how weak the Pound Sterling is currently, one clear profiteer is the Euro - a currency which will probably see some stronger headwinds in the near future, resulting from the potential disaster for established European parties in the upcoming election next Sunday.
The UK is witnessing the performance of Nigel Farage's Brexit party, which looks like they come out as the strongest UK party in the EU elections, but other nations see the performance of other Euro sceptical parties like the Lega under Salvini in Italy, or the National Front in France under Le Pen, causing headaches among Euro bulls.
Trading-wise, the push higher in the EUR/GBP and test of the region around 0.8840/50 is very interesting: a break higher could level the path for further gains, and activates the region around the current yearly highs respectively the 2018 highs around 0.9100.
This would be especially true if, after the developments in Austria over the last days where right-wing FPOe took a hit due to a corruption scandal stemming from its leader and vice-chancellor HC Strache, a subdued election result for the right-wing parties in Europe could trigger a short-squeeze in the Euro and push the EUR/GBP even further:
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on EUR/GBP Daily chart (between March 7, 2018, to May 23, 2019). Accessed: May 23, 2019, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2014, the value of the EUR/GBP fell by 6.4%, in 2015, it fell by 5.2%, in 2016, it rose by 15.6%, in 2017, it increased by 4.2%, in 2018, it rose by 1.2%, meaning that after five years, it was up by 6.9%.
Investing in Forex with Admiral Markets
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.