Last week was full of optimism in the stock markets. Investors evaluated data from China very positively, which indicated about country's economic stabilization and the U.S. and China's management comments on a trade agreement.
Both Donald Trump and Xi Jinping have officially stated that they are approaching a historical agreement of international trade. Main obstacles, intellectual property rights, opening the Chinese market to foreign capital, trade tariffs and other important issues were discussed and common agreements were found. Nevertheless, the final agreement date remains unclear.
NASDAQ and S&P500
The Nasdaq Composite, which appreciated +2.7% performed the best in the U.S. stock market, while Dow 30 appreciated the least of the main indices with +1.9% growth. S&P500 appreciated 2.1% to 2,890-point level and has reached the highest point since 2018 October. Overall, the S&P500 needs to appreciate only 2.0% to reach an all-time high. Market participants attributed this kind of positive market performance to speculations regarding the trade agreement and relatively positive news from China, where the economic slow-down has stabilized.
Last week, China's main stock index, Shanghai Composite appreciated 5.0% to a 12-month high. Positive economic data was one of the main variables in such significant stock market appreciation. Manufacturing sector's Purchasing Managers Index has risen above the 50-point level, which was evaluated by investors as a sign of economic stabilization for the country. Nevertheless, it is only the first indicator, which hints about positive tendencies in the country, therefore it would be useful to wait for more data, which would confirm the prevailing optimism.
In U.S. bond market difference between 2 and 10-year bonds remained stable at 0.15% level. Overall, the yields have increased, which indicated that investors last week evaluated the appreciation of the stock market more positively. However, it is important to note that this kind of appreciation is short-term and it is important to wait for a more significant resistance.
In commodity market sentiment was very positive. WTI type oil price appreciated 5.2% to 63.3 USD per barrel. Oil price has not only surpassed 200-day moving average, but has increased from the highest point from 2018 November. In metals segment copper price dropped -2.8%, aluminium dropped -0.9% and the price of iron ore increased from 86 to 91 USD/T.
Among different sectors, most of them have recorded appreciation. Best performers were manufacturing and commodities companies, which have appreciated 2.8%. Finance sector companies and utilities companies were also good performers, appreciating 2.6%. Meanwhile, worst performers were utilities companies, whose value marginally decreased by -0.1%.
Last week, Walgreen Boots, which is a global pharmaceutical company, announced its financial results and was in the market's spotlight. The company has more than 100 years activity history, which has started from a local pharmacy in the U.S. Big steps was taken in 2014, when U.S. company Walgreens has merged with European company Alliance Boots. This merger has formed a pharmaceuticals and healthcare giant, which is now operating in 25 countries and has 415 thousand employees.
The company has generated 34.5 billion USD revenue last quarter and it was in-line with market expectations. Adjusted profit per share was 1.64 USD, however, market participants have forecast 1.72 USD. Considering revenues of the same stores, compared to the period a year before, revenue decreased -3.8%, because 2018 was an easier flu season. The company's management has also renewed and downgraded the forecast for 2019, and stated that the profit per share will remain unchanged, although earlier they have claimed that the growth will be at 7-12%. Walgreens Boots is yet another company, which significantly cuts down 2019 forecasts and indicates about worsening business conditions in the global economy.
The stock price has fallen -12.6% after the news and reached the lowest point since 2013 October. In the last 12 months, stock price has corrected -13%.
Investing in Forex with Admiral Markets
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.