The EUR/USD is stabilising against 1.1180/1200 – US dollar to tip the scales?
Source: Economic Events July 3, 2020 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
For the weekly close, global financial markets and Forex could see subdued volatility. This is mainly due to the shortened US trading hours coming from the US Independence Day on Saturday, July 4 (for a change in trading hours please check here).
Still, the fundamental and the technical picture in the EUR/USD is very interesting for the days ahead: the EUR/USD kept on stabilizing against the region around 1.1180/1200 for a potential long trigger, especially with the focus on 10-year US Treasury yields and the region around 0.60%.
A break below that level will likely result in the yield differential between European and US yields continuing to narrow, favouring gains in the EUR/USD, activating 1.1400/1450 as a target on the upside.
But, while we are very sceptical in regards to the US dollar and expect the USD to depreciate, not only driven by a drop in US yields but also in response to the Fed continuing with their US Treasury purchases. There are also some downside risks in the EUR/USD, at least in the short-term:
While we could see global central banks winding down outstanding USD liquidity swap lines over the last few weeks (resulting in a declining Fed balance sheet), we could imagine this situation to tense up again in the near-term, which could see the US dollar gain and push the EUR/USD lower.
Our technical line in the sand here can be found around 1.1150, a break lower activates 1.1000 on the downside:
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on EUR/USD Daily chart (between May 3, 2019, to July 2, 2020). Accessed: July 2, 2020, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2015, the value of the EUR/USD fell by 10.2%, in 2016, it fell by 3.2%, in 2017, it increased by 13.92%, 2018, it fell by 4.4%, 2019, it fell by 2.2%, meaning that after five years, it was down by 7.3%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.