PayPal acquires Paidy for $2.7 billion US dollars
After positive quarterly results in May, at the end of July PayPal presented mixed results in which, unlike the previous quarter, revenue did not exceed market expectations – being reported at $6.24 billion compared to the $6.27 billion anticipated.
Despite this, during August, PayPal's share price rose 4.77%, which contributed to a total increase of 23.23% during the first 8 months of the year.
Today, the company is once again in the news after announcing the acquisition of one of the most highly valued Japanese start-ups for a reported total of 2,720 million USD.
With the acquisition of Paidy, PayPal gains greater presence in the Japanese market, which is very valuable given that Japan is the third largest e-commerce market in the world. Therefore, it is expected that this acquisition will boost the company's business volume, thus increasing profits and revenues.
For the time being, it appears that Paidy will retain its infrastructure and brand, with the final integration expected to take place at some point in the future.
Like most listed technology companies, over the last year PayPal’s share price has experienced a strong upward trend that led it to record highs of around 309 USD per share on 23 July, where it formed a double top with its previous highs represented by the green band in the chart below.
Currently, the price is in the process of closing the bearish gap formed on 29 July, which could give it a new impulse towards 300 USD per share in its quest to reach its current resistance levels.
The acquisition of this new company could be the trigger for a new bullish momentum that could be reinforced by the bullish crossover of its short and medium-term moving averages and the change from negative to positive territory in the MACD indicator.
Conversely, a failure to close the current gap and break above 300 USD per share could lead the price back to its current support levels at its moving averages. Moreover, the loss of its medium-term red trend line would open the door to a further correction.
Evolution of the last five years:
- 2020: 116.51%
- 2019: 28.64%
- 2018: 14.22%
- 2017: 86.52%
- 2016: 9.03%
With the Invest.MT5 account from Admirals, you can buy shares in PayPal and over 4,300 other lister companies! Click the banner below to open an account today:
INFORMATION ABOUT ANALYTICAL MATERIALS:
The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts, market reviews, weekly outlooks or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter “Analysis”) published on the websites of Admiral Markets investment firms operating under the Admiral Markets trademark (hereinafter “Admiral Markets”) Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The content is published for informative purposes only and is in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the content.
- With view to protecting the interests of our clients and the objectivity of the Analysis, Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- The Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst Roberto Rojas, Freelance Contributor (hereinafter "Author") based on personal estimations.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the content are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis.
- Any kind of past or modelled performance of financial instruments indicated within the content should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved