Alibaba back below 300 after postponed Ant IPO – will Earnings help push it back up?
Right before the US Presidential Election 2020, from Tuesday to Wednesday, stock traders with a focus on tech stocks not just in the US but also in China, looked at their charts stunned: potentially one of the biggest IPO's ever, from Ant Group, was postponed.
Since Alibaba (#BABA) is said to have a roughly 33% stake in the IPO, stocks of the Chinese internet retail giant dropped sharply on Tuesday, having difficulty recovering – what happened and what does this mean for #BABA?
Ant Group IPO postponed due to regulatory issues – Alibaba suffers, but remains bullish
The main reason for the suspension of the IPO can be found in changes in the regulatory environment. Shanghai exchange officials stated their concerns that the company likely would not fulfill the conditions in this "new" regulatory environment.
As it seems, this is a perfect example of why investments, including trades in Chinese companies, should only be taken after careful consideration: Chinese government interventions, in this case a delay of an IPO, are always on the table, resulting in elevated volatility in stocks closely correlated with the company – like Alibaba.
Certainly, traders will now be wondering how such a new regulatory environment comes into existence, postponing a potential "blockbuster IPO" like the one from Ant Group, a company that was likely about to raise $34.5 billion with its IPO, valuing it at over $313 billion and making it, in fact, the biggest IPO of all time.
The reason can likely be found in the bold remarks from the co-founder of Alibaba, who also backs the Ant Group spin off, Jack Ma.
Ma is known for bringing financial services to small businesses and Chinese citizens in general and recently criticized China's state-dominated banking system, causing difficulties for small Chinese businesses. Thanks to Ant's smartphone-based system, a suite of financial products, including the widely used Alipay digital wallet, allow:
- Making payments
- Borrowing money
All of this, obviously, undermines the Chinese authority.
While it could be that Ant Group only needs to make sure it meets the terms of the new regulations (which could be an easy fix), starting such a huge IPO having already burned their relationship with Chinese regulators could be a longer-term problem.
But the overall outlook for #BABA remains bullish and the recent drop could be an interesting spot for mid-term long-engagements.
How can you trade #BABA in this environment?
Looking at the daily time-frame, #BABA finds itself in a clear sequence of higher highs and lows and is solidly above its SMA(200). The sequence remains intact as long as #BABA trades above 265.00.
The recent bounce from its All Time High is a nearly 50% correction from its July lows up to its October highs and, technically, we consider the region around 280.00 USD a potential long-trigger against which #BABA could see another run back to above 300.00. However, the bullish picture could be negated once the stock drops below 265.00 USD.
Traders should keep in mind the earnings release on the 05th of November with #BABA expected to report an EPS of 14.18 USD and revenue at 155.88 bln USD. A surprise on the upside could result in a quick bounce back above 300 USD. If numbers disappoint, the stock could become vulnerable to a drop to below 265.00 USD.
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5SE Add-on #BABA CFD Daily chart (from April 18, 2019, to November 04, 2020). Accessed: November 04, 2020, at 10:00 PM GMT. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2016, the value of #BABA increased by 8.05%, in 2017, it increased by 96.37%, in 2018, it fell by 20.51%, and in 2019, it increased by 54.74%, meaning that since its IPO in 2014, it is up by 334.87%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level than with MetaTrader 4. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and is in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modelled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks.