The Nasdaq 100 crumbled lower after failing to breach its previous all-time high price level around ~$14,070.00. The sell-off in Big Tech hurt all major US indices, with the Nasdaq 100 bearing the brunt of the move.
Apple was down more than 4%, Alphabet and Tesla down more than 3% and Facebook down around 2.8%. The moves lower have been attributed to worries regarding inflation.
Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen did little to calm markets by commenting that interest rates would have to rise to keep the economy from overheating.
Source: Admirals MetaTrader 5, NQ100, Weekly - Data range: from Oct 8, 2017, to May 4, 2021, performed on May 4, 2021, at 8:30 pm GMT. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
Last five-year performance: 2020 = +47.34%, 2019 = +38.28%, 2018 = -0.55%, 2017 = +30.87%, 2016 = +5.18%, 2015 = +8.28%.
The weekly chart of the Nasdaq 100 index above shows a clear long-term uptrend. However, this week, the price has failed to break through its previous swing high level around the ~$13,900.00 price level.
This will be cause for concern for some bulls as it shows sentiment is weakening with not enough new buyers to drive the price to new highs. However, this could send the index lower, providing potential dip-buying opportunities for long investors.
Source: Admirals MetaTrader 5, NQ100, Daily - Data range: from Aug 13, 2020, to May 4, 2021, performed on May 4, 2021, at 8:30 pm GMT. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
The daily chart above shows interesting support zones around the 100-period (green) exponential moving average. Buyers have historically turned up at this moving average before.
If the price continues to fall traders may well look to these historic levels for clues on when the index will bounce higher again and continue the long-term uptrend.
Did you know that you can use the Trading Central Technical Ideas Lookup indicator to find actionable trading ideas on Amazon’s share price and thousands of other instruments across Forex, stocks, indices, commodities and more?
You can get this indicator completely FREE by upgrading your MetaTrader 5 trading platform provided by Admirals (formerly Admiral Markets) to the exclusive Supreme Edition!
Start your free download by clicking on the banner below:
INFORMATION ABOUT ANALYTICAL MATERIALS:
The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts, market reviews, weekly outlooks or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter “Analysis”) published on the websites of Admiral Markets investment firms operating under the Admiral Markets trademark (hereinafter “Admiral Markets”) Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The content is published for informative purposes only and is in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the content.
- With view to protecting the interests of our clients and the objectivity of the Analysis, Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- The Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst, Jitan Solanki (analyst), (hereinafter “Author”) based on their personal estimations.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the content are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis.
- Any kind of past or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the content should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved.