Source: Economic Events March 15, 2019 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
Even though it appears at first glance that nothing new has come from the recent Brexit talks, the chances of a deadline extension a 'Soft-Brexit' deal look to have increased – at least it has in the eyes of market participants, who pushed the pound/dollar currency pair to its highest levels since July 2018.
Theresa May couldn't find a majority for her second deal last Tuesday, being voted down with 391 to 242. Parliament also rejected a no-deal Brexit on Wednesday, and voted for an extension of the Brexit deadline past March 29.
While the amendment is not legally binding, and does not on its own change the Brexit deadline, as a tweet from European Commission president Tusk describes, but this also suggests that the EU does not want the UK to leave without a deal.
With such a potential deadline extension in mind, and both sides clearly favouring a deal (even though the EU clearly points towards the UK), the GBP currently seems undervalued particularly next to a weak-seeming US dollar.
That said, a break above 1.3350/3400 in the coming days seems likely, and if the next week's UK economic data convinces the BoE to keep the stated 'wait-and-see'-approach, a push up to 1.3600/3650 seems likely.
From a technical perspective, this bullish scenario is sustained as long as the GBP/USD trades above 1.2950.
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on GBP/USD Daily chart (between December 12, 2017 to March 14, 2019). Accessed: March 14, 2019, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2014, the value of the GBP/USD fell by 5.9%, in 2015, it fell by 5.4%, in 2016, it fell by 16.3%, in 2017, it increased by 7.4%, in 2018, it fell by 5.6%, meaning that after five years, it was down by 22.9%.
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.