Source: Economic Events June 12, 2019 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
Today, our focus will be on the USD/JPY and the US inflation rate. Last month, the US annual inflation rate came in at 2% for April 2019, 10 basis points higher from 1.9% the previous month, just below forecasts of 2.1 percent.
The question today is whether the rebound in energy prices can be seen today too, allowing prices to stabilise at 2% - the highest rate since last November.
If so, it surely wouldn't take very long to hear chatter among market participants that the Fed now faces a problem. The reason: after Fed chairman Powell opened the door for a potential rate cut on Tuesday, and the Fed Watch Tool currently shows markets expecting the Fed to cut rates at least once by December, with a probability of over 95%. In addition to that, last Friday saw a weak NFP print with only 75,000 adding further fuel to rate cut speculations.
All in all, we consider the USD/JPY in a potential lose-lose-situation, and that it's only a question of time until the USD/JPY continues with its bearish performance after the break below the crucial support region around 108.70, following the biggest five-day drop in 2-year Treasury yields since 2008.
Technically, a drop lower stays an option as long as we trade below 110.70 on a daily time-frame, with a stint as low as 105.00, the region around the January Flash Crash lows, being a serious option for the weeks to come.
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on USD/JPY Daily chart (between March 9, 2018, to June 11, 2019). Accessed: June 11, 2019, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2014, the value of the USD/JPY increased by 13.7%, in 2015, it increased by 0.5%, in 2016, it fell by 2.8%, in 2017, it fell by 3.6%, in 2018, it fell by 2.7%, meaning that after five years, it was up by 4.1%.
Investing in Forex with Admiral Markets
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.