Source: Economic Events June 19, 2019 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
Today, the eyes of the market will be on the Fed rate decision. And due to the yield sensitivity of the JPY, we want to focus on the USD/JPY.
After the weak NFPs, and the dovish comments from Fed chairman Powell around two or so weeks ago, combined with markets aggressively pricing in three rate cuts from the Fed until December - and we increasingly expect the first steps in that direction today. However, such expectations cooled a bit over yesterday, in response to the Atlanta Fed Tracker jumping to 2.1% from 1.4% after last Friday's Retail Sales data.
While the US dollar gained some momentum against the Euro or GBP, the JPY traded stable against the dollar which seems to come as a surprise, probably suggesting that bond and JPY traders are still very careful and consider a surprising cut from the Fed a serious option.
That said, any dovish rhetoric and/or surprising rate cut today is a potential bearish driver for the USD/JPY, leaving the currency pair vulnerable to a significant drop below 108.00 respectively the significant support region around 107.50/70.
Such a break lower levels the path down to the January Flash Crash lows around 105.00, especially if in addition to this outlook geopolitical tensions between the US and Iran keep on rising, triggering a risk-off move and leaving market participants unwinding their carry trades in JPY.
Technically speaking a drop lower stays an option as long as we trade below 110.70 on a daily time-frame:
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on USD/JPY Daily chart (between March 19, 2018, to June 18, 2019). Accessed: June 18, 2019, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2014, the value of the USD/JPY increased by 13.7%, in 2015, it increased by 0.5%, in 2016, it fell by 2.8%, in 2017, it fell by 3.6%, in 2018, it fell by 2.7%, meaning that after five years, it was up by 4.1%.
Investing in Forex with Admiral Markets
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks.